Friday, June 3, 2011

From Fifties to Fabulous

Ahhh the weekend and for me that means spending time with family in Santa Barbara.  I love it here and it's especially nice to be away from the dreary weather of NorCal...hello it's June why is it still raining????

The last time I was here I bought this lovely cabinet for $60 at a thrift store.  It reminded me so much of one that I've had my eye on in the Ballard Designs Catalog.  We were in need of a cabinet to hold the t.v. components and I knew this would be perfect!

I think this would also make a cute bar.



Just look at the detail.....love, love, love
When I showed my husband, he said "Call June Cleaver and tell her to take her cabinet back"....


I really like the diamond grate and as much as I hate taking the time to prep I knew there was no other way.
I've refinished all kinds of furniture, but this is the first time this has ever happened to me...eeeew cracks and bubbles. I sanded and primed and sanded and primed...I lost count of how many times.  And it was only in a few places.



I decided to wallpaper the back for that little something extra. I knew most people would never see it but I would know.  Kinda like wearing really pretty lingerie....


I fell in love with this Allen + Roth wallpaper from Lowe's. More of this wallpaper to come later...like I said I love it!


Measure twice...cut once


Don't you think it gives it that little something???
Away with the unbelievable mess of cords

Ta-Da!

I didn't notice the lid wasn't on the basket until just now and of course I can't fix it....my little OCD self with have to live with the not picture-perfect picture
From fifties to fabulous!


Join the Party

Domestically Speaking
Thrifty Decor Chick
Between Naps on the Porch
Making the World Cuter
The Girl Creative
Sumos Sweet Stuff
The DIY Showoff
Keeping it Simple
Thrifty Treasures

6 comments:

  1. Looks fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this. I'll be featuring this on my blog this thursday as one of my favourite things @ http://littlekatieontheprairie.blogspot.com drop by and say hi! I'm also your newest follower!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a definite upcycle! Awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've seen it in person and it's even better! Great job Katy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Katy, new follower here! (Would love a follow back!) Oh how I would LOVE to find a cabinet like this. It really turned out beautifully!

    ReplyDelete